The Wild

It’s been so damn busy lately that the course I’m taking is suffering.

Each week is a new artist I study, including a brief history of them along with their techniques. Then comes an in-studio assignment which I’ve had little choice but to use 1/2 the time I really should on them.

fullsizeoutput_4cc4.jpeg

Process

Found a 3x7x150cm piece of wood and mounted a Synthetic Fiber Canvas to it. Pre-Primed.

Using heavy-bodied, very high viscosity Sennelier Acrylics with only water and a gloss medium I created 2 different zip styles overlapping each other.

The first is a very matt almost auburn, using tape on both sides so that color would sit atop the darker gray base.

The second zip I added the gloss medium and a slightly higher value auburn color. I then used a palette knife to almost scumble atop the previous layer.

I may add to this in the near future with a bit of blue-ish purple zip, but at the moment uncertain.

 

This week it’s Barnett Newman, one of the artist's in the course I know only a little about. I’ve chosen to do a study or derivative of his, “The Wild” painted in 1950. It's a radical departure from his larger mural-sized works in that the canvas is only 243x4.1cm. The primary reason for me choosing this to study is that I’ve simply never chosen such an aggressive aspect ratio in composition.

Still utilizing his 'zips,' I worked through this study with my much undesired acrylics, as he often did as well. Thankfully this cut down my need for drying time considerably and gave me a chance to at least attempt some of his basic techniques. You can see that here in the matt warm blacks and glossy red zip.

His original work can be seen here.

Artist